i'm working on a new record. an LP. It's called (Re) Routed. It's a play on "Detour" (detour spelled backwards is "routed.")
This record is like a sequal of sorts to "Detour." It's not that i have a thing for making concept records, but i had plans for something entirely different as a follow up to Similis, but my plans fell apart and I had to scrap those and start over.
I figured as I started this project i'd write about it. One of my passions is music production, recording, mixing. I love the gear, i love the process, i love learning about it, love the history, so this will get a bit nerdy rather quickly.
To get things going first, I think a quick run down of what I'm using in my own personal studio (aka my living room. I live in a loft-style apartment on Boston's inner harbor, and a third of the space is packed with my gear.
My studio is based around a mac pro with 8 cores, 32 gigs of RAM, and a UAD Quad card (for DSP) running Pro Tools 12.4. I have a ton of plugins, too many, but i stick with a few common plugins that include:
- UA 1176 blue stripe (for everything)
- Valhalla vintage reverb
- Valhalla Shimmer reverb
- Waves IR reverb (the default hall IR is just about the best thing in the world)
- UA LA 2A (love this for piano)
- Waves DBX 160 compressor (drums)
- UA SSL Bus compressor (for the 2-bus)
- UA Trident A-Range EQ (love this for the 2-bus as well)
- UA Pultec EQP-1A (drums, and 2-bus)
- Waves Center (for the MS processing stuff)
- Waves R-Compressor (general purpose really)
- Waves API 550A and 550B EQ (my general purpose go-to EQ for everything)
- DMG Audio Track Limit (the best limiter i've ever heard, kills the Waves L2)
- Avid Sansamp (best distortion in the world)
- Sound Toys Echoboy
- Sound Toys Miscroshift
- Sound Toys Crystalizer
There are other things i'll use plugin wise, like a couple good guitar amp sims, and I use Superior Drummer 3 when I'm not live tracking percussion. Superior Drummer 3 makes that a lot easier though, you just have to be mindful of MIDI programming to optimize the sounds
In terms of hardware, i have a bunch of pedals, most notably:
- Electro Harmonix Freeze (for drones - use a baritone guitar or a bass for amazing effect)
- EBS Valve Drive bass DI (sounds good on literally everything)
- Red Panda Context reverb pedal (reverb for days)
- Electro Harmonix Cathedral reverb (more reverb)
- Retro Mechanical distortion box (sounds amazing for re-amping things and drums)
- Volume pedal
- Red Panda Particle (granular synth in a guitar pedal)
- Electro Harmonix Big Muff distortion pedal
Along with pedals I have a few odds and ends:
- Kurzweil K2000 Rack synth (for all your 1990's Dead Can Dance sounds you could ever want)
- 1980's vintage Tascam 38 half-inch 8-track tape machine (to really screw up the sound)
- Yamaha SPX 90 multi effects (the rack unit that defined the late 1980's reverbs)
- Lynx Aurora 8-channel AD/DA converter
- TC Electronic M300 reverb (serious character, not always good character!)
- Vintech 573 mic pre and DI 500-series.
For monitoring, i use:
- Yamaha NS10M
- Avantone mixcubes (powered clone of the classic Auratone 5c's, the brutally honest monitor)
For instruments i use:
- Fender P-Bass
- Fender telecaster baritone
- Gibson SG Standard
- Gibson Les Paul Standard (used for bowing)
- Gretsch hollow body
- Takamine 6-string acoustic
I also have a bunch of different MIDI controllers, like an Alesis drum pad, the new Roland foot pad so I can write percussion parts naturally (not using a keyboard) and an Akai keyboard controller. I also have a Cajon, and a bunch of other percussion items.
For other sources of sound I use a bunch of different software tools like PaulStretch, a bunch of the Spitfire Audio Kontakt libraries, along with Soniccouture libraries as well.
That's pretty much the what and some of the how from a big picture perspective. What I plan to do as I go through working on this record is go into more detail how each of these things are used for each song. I also post photos, screenshots, things like that, possibly a video or two. It all depends on how much time I will have (which is in such short supply these days).
Feel free to ask questions as well.
Choose a Category